Sunday, January 18, 2015

Navigation

There are not a lot of options here. In the whole of Pokhara (OK, in the whole of Lakeside in Pokhara) I only found two copies of the Map for this trek, one of which I bought. The map is your key tool and it contains some useful ancillary information.

My GPS map of Nepal (downloaded from garmin.openstreetmap.nl) was a total blank for this area, which gave it a certain feel. So I could record where I had been but not see any features whatsoever. 

I took a compass but never used it. The paths are generally clear and there are helpful people often enough along the way for guidance. After a few days you will develop a clearer idea of your speed relative to the suggested times on the map. 

Unless you are camping you will in any case be tied to the distances between places where you plan to find a home stay.

No comments: